General News | 1st December 2008
Swann Awaits Security Report
Notts spinner Graeme Swann says that he will await the outcome of an ECB security report before deciding whether or not to travel to India if England decide to return for two Tests.
The team returned home on Friday having spent time at the Taj Mahal Hotel earlier in the tour.
“There was a feeling of shock when they sat there realising what was going on and the realisation that it was the hotel that we stayed in,” said Swann.
“A lot of guys were keen to get back to family and friends and to make sure that we were out of there basically.
“We had a military guard with us and we get fairly well looked after but watching it unfold and knowing that had we been at that hotel we could have faced gunfire was a very sobering thought.
“The way the situation was when we left, it certainly didn’t feel like the right place to be.
“I’ve got every faith in Reg Dickson (ECB Security Adviser) and if he comes backs and says ‘look guys, we’re safe and we can go back and do some good playing cricket’ then I’d go but until that report comes back I’m not that keen to be honest.
“It’s certainly a very difficult decision to make and not one that anybody will be enjoying. Cricket didn’t feel very important to me over the last few days because the scenes we were watching were harrowing.”
England are scheduled to face India in Tests in Ahmedebad from Thursday 11th December and Chennai from Friday 19th December.