Luke Fletcher has rediscovered his love for Twenty20 cricket after a winter in New Zealand followed his second chance with Nottinghamshire.

The burly seamer was brought back into the Notts T20 side last season and excelled bowling at the death.

After being recommended by former Kiwi team-mate James Franklin, Fletcher then helped the Wellington Firebirds to their maiden T20 title and a place in the Champions League, although the 26-year-old is unlikely to be allowed to play in that competition as it clashes with Notts fixtures.

"It was amazing; it felt quite weird being an overseas player especially as last year was, not a breakthrough year, but a re-breakthrough year for me after having some time away from one day cricket," he said.

"Having played a lot of four day stuff it was nice to go overseas and experience the role of an overseas player in one day cricket.

"Fortunately, our side won it and so will be in the Champions League which will be amazing."

Fletcher, who has previously played club cricket in Australia but never before abroad as an overseas player, says the experience has made him extra excited for the NatWest T20 Blast this season with Notts.

He added: "I absolutely love it, there's no better feeling than walking out at Trent Bridge around five, half five, to a packed house and playing T20 cricket on a Friday night.

"I cannot wait, the atmosphere is great and this is probably the second best if not the best ground in the country, so we are very fortunate about that and it's a time of the year that everyone looks forward to."

Upbeat about the new season, Fletcher has enjoyed pre-season to the fullest and is raring to go in the new campaign for Notts.

"Everyone looks forward to the first game and we have had a new fitness coach in Ross Herridge this winter who is a great bloke and has worked very hard with us," he said.

"We went on a bowling camp to Abu Dhabi with Andy Pick, Ross and the physio, Jon Alty, which was very successful.

"You've worked a lot for it in the winter and there's five months of build up towards this first game, we understand we are not all going to play, but if you miss out there's plenty more cricket in the season.

"But there's something about the first game, every single lad in that dressing room I can guarantee will be looking forward to starting."

With Notts kicking off their season this Sunday at Lord's against Middlesex in the County Championship, the entire squad are keen to get started. None more so than Fletcher himself, who is quietly confident going into the 2015 season that Notts can give fans plenty to shout about.

"I don't want to say too much and put too much pressure on the squad," he told the Post.

"But what I think you can expect is that we will be challenging in all three competitions and I would say we have a lot more strength in depth with seamers in the bowling department this year and also with the batters.

"So hopefully we can put a case forward in all three competitions."

Talking of putting a case forward, Nottinghamshire Director of Cricket Mick Newell has revealed that Fletcher's name has been coming up during England selection meetings because of his ability to bowl at the death in white ball cricket, and T20 in particular.

"It's funny, we talk about him a lot," said Newell. "The issues with Luke will be as much about his fitness and his ability to field to a high enough standard.

"But I think in Twenty20 cricket, somebody that can bowl consistently good yorkers that he can is going to be talked about.

"But I think there is a bigger package with Luke and he has got to work hard on his fitness and make himself a more selectable player if you like.

"He is working hard at his fitness, he's had an interesting winter and played some cricket in New Zealand and done some training.

"We've got to expect we're never going to get a blooming stick insect, but you've got to accept as well that he's a well paid and well looked after professional and we expect a high standard from him."

For more Nottinghamshire news, previews and match reports visit the Nottingham Post.

The excitement of the NatWest T20 Blast returns to Trent Bridge in May as Notts Outlaws hope to break the 10,000 barrier for the arrival of reigning champions Birmingham Bears on Friday 15 May.

Adult tickets are available at a special price of £10 and further discounts in place for under 16s (£5), under21s (£7) and senior citizens (£7) when buying in advance. Make Trent Bridge a firm fixture for your Friday nights and secure your seats now.