Second Eleven Championship
Day 1 of 3
Nottinghamshire 179 Derbyshire 147-6
Batting was a far more taxing occupation at Denby on the first day of Nottinghamshire’s final Second Eleven Championship game of the season, on the same pitch that the Trophy game was played on Tuesday.
Winning the toss and choosing to bat the Notts innings started disastrously as Edwards fell to the third ball of the innings pulling to Slater at square leg off Alistair Evans.
The same combination accounted for Kelsall in the fifth over and two balls later Ali Brown, on the day he announced his retirement, was out second ball caught behind without scoring to leave Notts tottering on 13-3.
Akhil Patel however batted with freedom hitting six boundaries and scoring 35 out of 48 before holing out to a catch by Evans. Wood followed soon after as Notts subsided to 64-5.
Scott Elstone and Tom Rowe then set about trying to retrieve the situation and took Notts to the lunch interval without further loss at 91-5. Shortly after lunch Elstone provided Slater with his third catch to end a watchful innings of 37.
Martin Weightman went for 2 and at 125 Tom Rowe edged to slip to be caught by Madsen for 34. Brett Hutton and Jake Ball decided that on a difficult pitch with variable pace, attack would be the answer and added 54 in less than six overs. Burgoyne was then brought on with his spin and had Ball stretching forward to be stumped by Poynton for 24.
With Ben Phillips stuck on the motorway on his way up from Taunton that was the end of the innings Brett Hutton left not out on 34 with Evans taking 4-64.Hutton had early success with the ball trapping Lineker leg before with the home side on seven.
Andrew Carter, on his first appearance after a lengthy injury break, conceded just six runs from as many overs but there seemed little sting in the attack as Derby reached 64-1 at tea.
Refreshed by tea and mixed sandwiches and no doubt some advice from bowling coach Mike Hendrick, the evening session saw Notts take 5 wickets for 83.
Left arm bowler Martin Weightman made the initial breakthrough having Madsen (38) well caught low down at slip by Edwards and trapping Slater in front for no score.
By this time Ben Phillips had completed his journey and proceeded to bowl 12 overs for just 17 runs dismissing Borrington (36) and Siddique (29) during his spell which lasted to the close.
Carter then leapt into the air at mid on to hold a superb one handed catch to get rid of Hughes (19) off Hutton to complete a good session and bring Notts back into the game.