Nottinghamshire’s bowlers put the side in a really strong position during a rain-shortened second day against Worcestershire at New Road.

The home side ended the day on 72-6, still 171 runs adrift of the visitor’s first day total of 243.

Mick Newell, Notts director of cricket, was pleased with what he saw. “I thought we bowled nicely for a couple of hours and got our rewards.

"We bowled nicely for a couple of hours and got our rewards." Mick Newell

“We were disappointed not to get back out again after tea and make further inroads or even get ourselves batting again.”

Star of the show was Andre Adams, who closed the day with figures of 4-23. “He was very accurate, always moving the ball both ways and giving himself every chance of picking up a wicket. Today the lbw’s came into play for Andre and he was well-supported by Ben Phillips and Harry Gurney. We’re pleased that Harry picked up a wicket as he was a little unlucky last week at Trent Bridge. We wanted to give him another game and he was swinging it around nicely.”

After a lengthy mopping up operation play began at 2.40pm, with Michael Klinger and Daryl Mitchell resuming for Worcestershire.

Ben Phillips thought he had Klinger caught behind but nothing was given and progress was otherwise unhindered as the openers posted 35.

Andre Adams’ introduction into the attack brought the initial breakthrough, as Klinger (22) edged to second slip, where Samit Patel clung onto the offering.

Phillips had bowled a disciplined spell, asking many questions of the batsmen. His reward came when Vikram Solanki (1) went deep into his crease and was rapped on the pads.

That was the first of five successful lbw appeals as Notts cut through the middle order in spectacular fashion.

Adams picked up a trio of quick wickets, enticing umpire Michael Gough to send back Mitchell (24), Alexei Kervezee (0) and then Moeen Ali (11).

In the final over before tea Harry Gurney claimed his maiden first class wicket for the county, dismissing Ben Scott (1) to another leg before decision.

With two bowling points safely tucked away Notts headed off for tea with the board showing 66-6.

Only five more deliveries were possible after the resumption, bringing six more runs. At that point the umpires decreed that the light had deteriorated sufficiently and they took the players from the field.