A rain-interrupted third day at Trent Bridge saw Lancashire’s tenth wicket pair, Kyle Hogg and Simon Kerrigan, extend the visitors first innings to a score of 321-9 when stumps were drawn after only 12.5 overs were possible.

The session was overshadowed by an injury to Andre Adams, whose ankle gave way as he ran in to bowl the fifth delivery of his first over. Attended by physio Ross Hollinsworth, Adams left the field, limping, under his own steam.

“There was a concern when he went down clutching his ankle but it was a good sign that he was able to walk off,” said Mick Newell.

 “He’s a bit sore at the moment but we’ll all have a better idea in the morning when he wakes up after a night’s sleep.

“When you run on the outfield you get wet grass on the bottom of your boot then when you run on the hard, dry surface it becomes slippy. These things can happen but we weren’t unhappy at the decision to start play when we did.”

Play didn’t start until 4.30pm, meaning a long and frustrating wait for the handful of spectators in the ground and a lengthy mopping-up operation for Steve Birks and his staff.

Resuming from their overnight position of 272-9 Lancashire’s last pair Kyle Hogg and Simon Kerrigan set about boosting the total, as Notts immediately took the second new ball, which had become due.

Hogg received an early gift. Pushing straight to Riki Wessels in the covers, he was the recipient of five runs as the throw narrowly missed the stumps and raced away for overthrows.

After eight overs had been bowled Chris Read replaced Harry Gurney with Adams, whose first delivery was steered to third man to bring up the fifty partnership and also take the total up to 300.

Later in the same over Adams went over on his ankle. After he’d received treatment the umpires took the players off – for bad natural light, although the floodlights were on.

Returning, after a fifteen minute stoppage, the runs continued to come freely as Lancashire raced to 321-9, at which point the next stoppage concluded events for the day.