On Remembrance Sunday, TrentBridge.co.uk casts a look back at those Nottinghamshire players who lost their lives during the First World War, as well as other wartime events that took place at Trent Bridge.
During the First World War, five cricketers who had represented Nottinghamshire lost their lives while on military service.
Gunner William Riley, a medium-pacer who was a regular for Notts from 1909-14, died on October 9, 1917 in Coxyde in Belgium.
Riley has his name in the record books as one-half of the record 10th wicket partnership for the club of 152 with E.B.Alletson against Sussex at Hove in 1911. Alletson contributed 142 to that partnership in only 40 minutes, believed to be the fastest piece of sustained hitting in first-class cricket.
Reverend Harvey Staunton, a chaplain with the Indian Expeditionary Force, died in Mesapotamia, now modern-day Iraq, in January 1918 and is buried in Baghdad.
Rev. Staunton made 16 appearances for Notts as a batsman, as well as captaining the Second XI for the 1909 and 1910 seasons.
Sherwood Foresters Second Lieutenant Ralph Hemingway played in 30 Notts matches between 1903 and 1905. Another batsman, he was killed in action in France on October 15,1915.
Charles Pepper, a sergeant in the same regiment, played seven games for Nottinghamshire as an all-rounder. He lost his life in the Battle of Passchendaele in Belgium in September 1917.
Captain Alex Crawford, of the West Yorkshire regiment, died in La Ventie in France on May 10, 1916. An amateur, he joined Nottinghamshire in 1912 after a spell with Warwickshire, making 11 appearances.
While these five players died on active duty, more than 3,500 soldiers were treated and cared for at Trent Bridge during the war, with the Pavilion and Ladies Pavilion converted into a fully functioning hospital.
A number of Nottinghamshire cricketers served during World War II, though none were killed in action. Reg Simpson, Joe Hardstaff Jr and Harold Butler the most notable names, all of whom served in India.
Nottinghamshire was the only county to play cricket every year during the course of World War II, while the army made use of Trent Bridge's pavilion once more, this time as a post office.