Nottinghamshire Outlaws won the Yorkshire Bank 40 trophy with an 87-run victory over Glamorgan at Lord’s.

A man of the match performance from Samit Patel, who took three crucial wickets, helped the Outlaws dismiss the Welsh county for 157 in only 33 overs.

Earlier Chris Read and David Hussey combined in a fifth wicket stand of 99 as Notts, put in, made 244 for eight.

Under cloudy, overcast skies Glamorgan captain Mark Wallace won the toss and decided to field first, with the sides containing few last minute surprises.

As expected, the named Outlaws side read: Hales, Lumb, Taylor, Patel, Hussey, Read, Mullaney, Broad, Swann, Shahzad and Gurney.

Glamorgan’s line-up was: Rees, Wallace, Cooke, Allenby, Goodwin, Wright, Wagg, Salter, Cosker, Hogan and Jones.

The opening of the game revealed a touch of nerves with the initial delivery, from Michael Hogan, sliding away outside Michael Lumb’s off stump for huge wide.

Hogan, and former Leicestershire man Jim Allenby, kept things tight for the first four overs, with only eleven runs materialising.

Notts then began to purr, with Lumb hitting back-to-back boundaries in the sixth. With the gloomy overhead conditions failing to improve the floodlights were switched on at the end of that over.

The final over of the power-play saw Lumb hit the first maximum of the day, clipping Allenby over long on, after hitting two more fours from his previous deliveries.

Andrew Salter’s introduction into the attack broke the opening stand, with Lumb (28) delivering a caught and bowled opportunity which was accepted.

Glamorgan made another vital strike in the following over, with Alex Hales (18) taken on the deep extra cover boundary by 40-year old Murray Goodwin, from the bowling of Simon Jones.

James Taylor and Samit Patel had been Nottinghamshire’s two most successful batsmen in the qualifying programme but only added 22 before falling in consecutive overs.

Patel (10) mistimed to mid off against the spin of Andrew Salter and Taylor (22) nicked behind off Jones.

A drop by Rees reprieved David Hussey when he’d only made 3 and it proved massively costly as the Australian and the Notts’ captain took the fight to their opponents.

Glamorgan’s fielding was outstanding throughout but they couldn’t stem the flow of runs, with Dean Cosker at backward point, diving right and left to save countless more.

Read cleared the ropes on two occasions, with the second coming from the first ball of the batting power-play, bowled by Graham Wagg. That brought up his half century but the next delivery cost Notts a wicket.

Read pushed the ball firmly to extra cover and set off instantly. Hussey (42) was a fraction slow in responding and was beaten by the stop and quick release from Ben Wright.

Six balls later Glamorgan were again celebrating, as Read, 53 from 53 balls, skied Michael Hogan to Chris Cooke in the deep.

Nottinghamshire’s large and noisy support needn’t have feared because the innings finished on a high with Graeme Swann (29 not out) and Steven Mullaney (21) adding 42 in 3.4 overs, leaving only time for Stuart Broad (0) to be dismissed from the final ball of the innings.

In pursuit of 245, Glamorgan suffered a major setback as Harry Gurney removed Mark Wallace (2) with the first ball of the second over, to a catch by Taylor at point.

At 40-1 by the end of the initial eight-overs, the sides were neck and neck but then Ajmal Shahzad struck in his first over, firing one through Gareth Rees’ defences.

Chris Cooke (46) and Jim Allenby (34) combined in a stand of 66 that threatened to sway the game towards their side but Patel removed both, each losing their off peg to deliveries that bit and turned.

When Patel collected his third, the dangerous Murray Goodwin (6) out lbw sweeping, Notts were on a roll that continued until the end of the contest.

Shahzad (11) had Wright taken at midwicket by Lumb and Salter (2) LBW, then Broad’s second spell closed out the contest in emphatic style.

He had Cosker (3) taken at mid off by Mullaney, Wagg (18) caught by Read and Hogan (0) was last out, chopping on.

Broad finished with 3-29, Shahzad finished as Notts leading wicket-taker in the tournament, as he boosted his tally to 22, with 3-36 and Patel ended with 3-21.

The hoodoo of 24 years without an appearance in a major domestic one-day trophy ended, with Notts crowned YB40 champions 2013.