Nottinghamshire’s Second Eleven secured a narrow one-wicket victory over Glamorgan in their 50-over Trophy match at Welbeck. Late wickets put the match in Glamorgan’s favour, but a Brett Hutton 50 secured the win for Notts. 

The hosts elected to field, a decision instantly vindicated when Sam Wood bowled Glamorgan opener Tom Lancefield in the first over. Notts claimed two more wickets inside the first ten overs, Brett Hutton having Jeremy Lawlor caught behind and Ben Kitt claimed Neil Brand’s scalp, caught by Adeel Shafique. 

At 24-3, opener Gareth Rees was joined by Danial Chaudhry, and the pair added 64 for the fourth wicket before Rees was stumped off Adam Tillcock for 41. Glamorgan passed 100 but in the 26th Kitt had Chaudhry caught in the deep for 37. Tillcock then had Gareth Ansell caught & bowled, but Nathan Roberts and Jack Murphy saw Glamorgan past 150 in the 38th.

They developed a 50 partnership ended by Matt Carter, bowling Roberts for 29. Adam Tillcock then grabbed two more, Owen Morgan was stumped, then Jack Murphy bowled to leave Glamorgan on 198-9.

When Dewi Penrhyn-Jones was caught off Sam Wood, Glamorgan had just passed the 200 mark, ending 201 all out. Adam Tillcock finished with 4-54 from his ten overs

Opening batsmen Sam Kelsall and Will Root steadily made their way to 78 without loss before Kelsall found mid-on in the 17th over, and three bals later Nathan Roberts made it two in an over, Dan Freeman nicking him into the slips.

Sam Wood and Will Root progressed past 100, before Root was bowled for 61, and Wood followed next over, caught off Kieran Bull. Anuj Dal scored six before being caught off Penrhyn-Jones and when Adam Tillcock gave Penrhyn-Jones another, at 145-6 Brett Hutton and Nottinghamshire were in need of a partnership.

Adeel Shafique came and went fairly quickly, but Hutton found more support in captain Paul Franks, the pair nudging their way to 186 when Franks became another Penrhyn-Jones victim. Matt Carter gave the Glamorgan bowler his five-fer, but eleventh man Ben Kitt provided enough solidity for Brett Hutton to complete his fifty and hit the winning runs. Hutton ended the match 55  not out, with Dewi Penrhyn-Jones taking 5-47 from his ten overs.