Nottinghamshire Second XI recovered well from a disastrous start but were still comfortably beaten in their Trophy game against Worcestershire.

Having defeated Northants the day before, the visitors were asked to bat first and were quickly reduced to 29-4 before recovering to 291 all out in 47.4 overs.

However, centuries from Jack Haynes and George Rhodes meant that Worcestershire cantered to victory in their run chase, reaching 295-3 in the 43rd over.

With ball in hand, the home side struck from the second ball of the second over as Matt Carter fell for a duck in presenting an easy catch to Zen Malik at mid-wicket off the bowling of Charlie Morris.

It was 10-2 when Lyndon James nicked to George Rhodes at second slip, giving Morris a second wicket, while Solomon Budinger (8) skied the second ball into the safe hands of keeper Alex Milton to present the seamer with a third scalp.

When Kamau Leverock (1) drove Adam Finch straight to Joshua Dell at mid-wicket, Notts were in desperate need of a strong partnership and they found it in the shape of Chris Gibson (67) and Connor Marshall (61).

The pair put on 111 for the fifth wicket before Marshall’s 59 ball-innings came to an end when he was bowled by George Rhodes, having struck eight fours and two sixes.

Gibson, who struck nine boundaries in his 96-ball stay, went next, out with then total on 159, as he was caught at long-on by Grant Thornton off Ben Twohig’s bowling.

Skipper Matt Milnes made an enterprising 36 off 33 balls before being bowled by Rhodes, while Tim Wyatt (12) helped take the total past 200 before being caught at backward point by Twohig as Morris struck again.

Tom Keast completed his fifty from just 37 balls, having hit two fours and four maximums, but fell for 66 that included one more of each boundary type as Morris completed his five-fer, thanks to a very good catch by Twohig at mid-wicket.

Last man Ben Kitt joined Jack Blatherwick (14 not out) but was out when caught at long off by Malik off Thornton. Morris finished with 5-45 off eight overs.

Oliver Westbury went for early in the hosts’ reply as he was caught by keeper Tom Keast to give Milnes an early wicket, but it was to be the last Notts success for some time.

Haynes hit 131 from 97 balls, with 17 fours and five sixes, and Rhodes 121 from 115 balls, with 16 boundaries and one maximum, to put on 220 for the second wicket.

Their stand was finally broken in the 37th over when Rhodes was bowled Gibson, who then also accounted for Haynes soon after with a caught and bowled.

However, Ross Whiteley (10 not out) and Alex Milton (11 not out) carried Worcestershire to victory with no further alarms.

Click here for full scorecard.


You can watch every ball of Notts’ scheduled home matches in 2018 - including all seven Vitality Blast (T20) group games - by joining our family as a Member. Adult prices start from £38 and you can become a Member by clicking here.