Edwin Patchitt played in four county matches between 1840 and 1843. He was a feared bowler in local cricket, but was no-balled in his first county game, because his arm was raised too high.
Born in Nottingham in 1808, educated at Bluecoat School, he set up as a solicitor and was highly successful, building a large mansion called Forest House, with 30 acres, on the Nottingham outskirts. The house was converted into a Children's Hospital in 1901.
He was also a Justice of the Peace for Nottingham, during which time he read the Riot Act when Nottingham Castle was set on fire during the protests over the 1832 Reform Act. In 1852 he was elected councillor for the St Mary’s Ward of the Town Council, and in 1858 was elected Mayor of Nottingham.
He also was registrar of Nottingham County Court for over forty years and one of the founders of the Robin Hood Regiment of Volunteers.
Edwin Patchitt died at the Queen's Hotel in Hastings on 6 February 1888 and on 11 February he was buried in Church Cemetery, Nottingham, which he had designed and managed the construction.