Frank Tinley, ‘a dark-complexioned little fellow’, made his debut v Kent at Trent Bridge and played until 1856. Born Frances Eastwood Tinley in Southwell in 1819, he was one of three brothers to represent Notts.
He was for long periods the pro to the Southwell Club, but spent two seasons with Newport on the Isle of Wight and one with a club in Rotherham. He was often used as a given player for XXIIs opposed to the AEE and in the 1860s was frequently found as an umpire in major matches. A tallow chandler by trade, he later was landlord of the Hearty Good Fellow in Southwell. Tinley died in Birmingham in 1889.