Born in Lenton on 4 June 1954, John Timothy Curzon was a right-hand bat and right-arm medium-pace bowler who went to Bilborough Grammar School. He first appeared for Notts Second XI in 1974 and played 42 Second Eleven Championship up to 1979, taking 53 wickets @36.77. Between 1975 and 1978 he played in 17 Warwick Pool fixtures for Notts Under-25s, taking 15 wickets @29.20. Curzon was on the Notts playing staff in 1978 and made his sole First-Class appearance in a rain-ruined game at Fenner’s in June 1978. He was leg before to Mark Allbrook for 1. Off-spinner Allbrook was also on the Notts staff at the time but was playing for the Cambridge students. Curzon bowled 5-1-22-0.
His younger brother Christopher, a wicket-keeper, played 17 First-Class and 11 List-A games for Notts between 1978-80. He joined Hampshire for the 1981 season as back-up to the established Bobby Parks; Chris played a single First-Class game for the South Coast outfit.
John Curzon's links to Trent Bridge continued after his playing days. When working for Britannia Stone Precast, he drew the production drawings for the stone structures that form each end of the Smith Cooper stand.
He currently resides in the Rushcliffe parish of Newton and regularly attends the Old Players Days at the club.
Nottinghamshire First-Class Number: 482