The Rev William Bury was born in Radcliffe-on-Trent on October 14 1839, one of nine brothers, his father (also William Bury) being at that time the vicar of the village. An elder brother was the Rev Thomas William Bury, who was at Winchester and Cambridge and played in minor matches for Leicestershire and Lincolnshire. Another brother, Frederick Maxwell Bury played for Demerara in 1865-66.
The son William was educated privately and at Trinity College, Cambridge, where he was awarded his blue in 1861 and 1862.
William Bury the younger played in three matches for Nottinghamshire in 1861-62, but did not really come off. He was a very fast runner, with a rather peculiar style and nicknamed ‘Deerfoot’. His two most notable innings were both made at Trent Bridge in 1862 and both were exactly 121.
The first was for Gentlemen of North v South and the second for Midland County Diamonds v Free Foresters. After 1862 he retired from major cricket, but he did appear for Northamptonshire in 1867 and 1870, being at that time the vicar of Hazelbeach in that county. He died in Borough Green, near Sevenoaks on May 21st, 1927.
Nottinghamshire First-Class Number: 91