Sir Henry Bromley, who was born at Stoke Hall on December 25, 1816, was the principal patron of Nottinghamshire cricket through the 1860s and 1870s. Although he never played for Nottinghamshire in a major match, he played regularly for Gentlemen of Notts and in other local matches, it is fitting to include the short tribute to him, which was originally published in 1874:
‘He is a good judge of play and players, and for many years used to entertain the members of the old Nottingham Commercial Club, including the two Dafts, and other well-known cricketers, on the occasion of their annual match with his eleven at East Stoke. After this we are not surprised to learn that he is beloved by all cricketers.’
Sir Henry was elected to the Notts CCC Committee in 1861 and then elected the Club’s first President in 1869, a post he retained until he declined re-election in December 1877.
He was also President of the Gentlemen of Notts Club in May 1867 – the Club having moved from its original home in Southwell to Beeston. Sir Henry was a magistrate and also Deputy-Lieutenant of the County. He was 6ft 8ins in height and weighed about 18 st.
He died at Stoke Hall on September 21, 1895. His country seat of Stoke Hall is reputed to have as many windows as there are days in a year!
TEST V NEW ZEALAND, IT20 V INDIA