On the creation of the ground staff at Trent Bridge in 1897, Walter Marshall was given the new position of coach. He retained this post until 1922 when he was succeeded by James Iremonger. Marshall became head groundsman at Trent Bridge, retiring in 1935 when he became caretaker of the Pavilion. Marshall was born in Hyson Green on 27 October 1853, and was a prominent member of Nottingham Castle CC, where he played for twenty years - his first match for them at Skegness on 4 August 1879 and his last against the MCC at Lord's on 7 August 1899.
He made his First-Class debut at the age of 35 for Notts versus Liverpool and District at Aigburth in July 1889, scoring 26. He played in a further two First-Class games in 1891, versus Gloucestershire and Kent, both at Trent Bridge. In his three First-Class games he scored 42 runs @10.50 and never bowled.
A fair bat and left-arm medium-pace bowler, Marshall lived for a number of years in a flat in the Pavilion at Trent Bridge. In 1876 he had represented Notts and Yorkshire Colts v Colts of England. As late as 1903 he made an appearance for Notts Second XI. He was awarded a joint Testimonial with G.Shaw and Frank Dalling from Notts CCC in 1934 and received £173.17.2d.
Very much the “grand old man of Trent Bridge”, he died in West Bridgford on 15 January 1943 aged 89 years.
Nottinghamshire First-Class Number: 209