William Ward Selby, like de Crespigny, made his sole appearance for Notts v Sussex at Trent Bridge in 1848. Baptised at Leenside, Nottingham in April 1823, he was the son of John Selby who was a notable local Nottingham cricketer in the 1820s and 1830s.
William Selby played his early cricket for the Radcliffe Club, but was a professional in Cardiff in 1855 to 1857 and at Trinity College, Glenalmond in 1861. Latterly however he worked as a postman in Nottingham, though the 1891 census shows him to be a hosiery framework knitter.
He died in Nottingham in January 1892 and is buried in the General Cemetery. His son John Selby was an England Test cricketer.