Nottinghamshire lost their second LV= County Championship match of the season when they were bowled out for just 151 on the final day of their match against Surrey at The Kia Oval.

Setting off, in pursuit of their sixth highest successful run-chase of all-time, they lost wickets at regular intervals against a succession of Surrey spinners, to lose the match by 195 runs.

Eight of the ten wickets fell to spin, four of them to Gareth Batty, with Neil Edwards top-scoring with 31 for the batting side.

Mick Newell, Nottinghamshire’s director of cricket, had forecast what sort of contest this would be.

“There were no surprises in the pitch,” he said. “This game was lost on the second day because we couldn’t afford to give Surrey a first innings lead, like we did because as the game goes on you know their spinners are going to come more into play.

“I thought we did well to bowl them out for 260 but we needed to score at least 400 first time around to get a decent lead because we didn’t want to have to chase too many in the last innings.”

Nottinghamshire had begun their second innings on the third evening, with nightwatchman Harry Gurney at the crease but he soon fell on the final morning.

After a no-ball, his partnership with Neil Edwards ended with the seventh – and final - delivery of the first over of the day, Tim Linley being driven uppishly by Gurney (0), into the hands of Kevin Pietersen at mid off.

Edwards, with Riki Wessels as his new partner, helped steer Notts to 45-1 after an hour of play, with the only alarm being a Wessels flash for four off Meaker that flew through the slip cordon.

The pair added 51 for the third wicket before Batty turned one into Wessels’ (16) pads and umpire Tim Robinson raised his finger.

Adam Voges, playing his final innings of the summer, before returning to Australia, battled hard through 14.4 overs, during which he and Edwards could only eke out a dozen runs between them.

Unfortunately for Notts, the session ended as it had begun, with a wicket.

With only time for one more over Batty threw the ball to Kevin Pietersen who, with his fifth delivery, found a touch of bounce that Voges (9) could only nudge into the hands of Zander de Bruyn at silly point.

It was only the second championship wicket Pietersen had taken since leaving Notts eight years ago and he was to add another later, having Edwards (31) caught behind.

James Taylor, whose cv includes an unbeaten double-hundred for Leicestershire at The Oval, got off the mark with a three down to third man off Pietersen

He only added three more before becoming Batty’s second lbw victim of the innings, trapped deep in his crease.

Chris Read got off the mark by driving Pietersen for four but he only went on to compile 17 before hitting the returning Murali Kartik to Zafer Ansari in the covers.

Steven Mullaney and Sam Wood joined forces in the 51st over and saw the end of Pietersen’s spell from the Pavilion End (10-3-24-2).

His replacement, Batty, continued the spin assault and picked up his third wicket – all of them lbw – when he gained another positive verdict against Wood (2).

In an attempt to polish off the tail Stuart Meaker was brought into the attack and he immediately bagged Mullaney (18), falling to another lbw decision.

Graeme White (4) was bowled by Batty and Fletcher (4) went leg before to Kartik, leaving Ben Phillips (20 not out) unbeaten, after a series of defiant blows.

The defeat meant that Notts lost their unbeaten away record for 2012 and picked up only four points from the contest, sliding them down the First Division table.

“I would be disappointed if we finished as low as fifth,” said Newell. “We’ve played top-four cricket all season and I’d like to think we are a top-four side – but we have been disappointing here and have to pick ourselves up to face Warwickshire next week.”