Notts Outlaws bowed out of the Royal London One-Day Cup at the semi-final stage after Somerset handed them a 115 run defeat at Trent Bridge.

The visitors followed up their crushing victory over Worcestershire Rapids 48 hours earlier, by delivering a strong, all-round performance to go through to the Lord’s showpiece on 25 May.

Peter Trego top-scored with 73, as the visitors totalled 337 all out after being asked to bat first. Azhar Ali scored 72 and Tom Banton hit a brisk 59, with Jake Ball taking four for 62 for the home side.

Notts lost wickets at regular intervals despite half centuries from Ben Slater (58) and Alex Hales (54). However, the Somerset attack kept a tight rein on proceedings, with Roelof van der Merwe taking three for 29, with the remaining wickets shared amongst the rest of the six-man attack.

There were still 11.4 overs remaining when the end came, with the Outlaws being dismissed for only 222.

In pursuit of 338 Joe Clarke fell early in the chase, picking out short-midwicket, from the bowling of Craig Overton. Notts got their reply back on an even keel, thanks to a second-wicket stand of 72 between Hales and Slater.

Slater made his runs from 60 balls but was followed straight back to the pavilion by Ben Duckett, who made only a single.

Hales cleared the ropes on his way to a 42-ball half century but then nicked behind, heralding the start of a middle order collapse which left the chase in disarray at 156 for six.

Steven Mullaney made 29 and Luke Fletcher plundered an aggressive 43 but when he hit Lewis Gregory into the hands of long-off the celebrations could begin for the West Country side and their supporters.

Earlier, the Somerset openers added 93 together, with Banton applying early pressure towards the home attack.

Harry Gurney, playing his first domestic match of the summer after returning from a stint in the Indian Premier League, made the initial breakthrough, having Banton caught behind.

Trego survived difficult chances in the deep when on 24 and 45, to reach his 50 from 48 balls but then lost two partners in the same Jake Ball over.

Azhar played an uncharacteristically adventurous shot and lost his middle stump after making 72 from 71 balls, then James Hildreth was victim of a stunning reflex catch by the bowler.

Tom Abell was denied a certain boundary when he swept the ball viciously into the body of square leg umpire Mike Burns but had only made 18 when nicking Fletcher behind.

When George Bartlett followed in the 36th over for nought, giving Mullaney his 100th List A wicket, the total was on 228 for five.

Trego’s fine innings was ended by the brilliance of Mullaney, throwing down the stumps with a direct hit but the same player then spilled Gregory at mid-off.

For the second time in the innings Ball picked up two wickets in the same over, having Gregory and van der Merwe both caught in the deep.

Jamie and Craig Overton applied some late order muscle, with a stand of 47 from just 30 balls, before the innings was closed out with two run outs.

Somerset now advance to their first Lord’s final since 2011.


Join us as a Member for access to every County Championship fixture and seven home T20 Vitality Blast matches from £29 by clicking here.